Re: Positioned Layout proposal

From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 22:19:44 -0400
To: "Alexander Shpack" <shadowkin@gmail.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>

>> As well, there are certain types of layouts that are not really
>> possible to do in any existing or proposed layout mode in CSS.
>> However, they may be easy to describe in terms of absolute positioning
>> relative to particular edges of other elements.  (I have an example,
>> but at the moment it only works in dev channel Chrome because it uses
>> classlist - I'll describe it later*.)
>>
>> To fix this, I've written a personal draft of a new Positioned Layout
>> spec I'd like to see adopted by the group.  It's currently hosted on
>> my blog: <http://www.xanthir.com/blog/b48H0>.
>>

> Could you read my proposals about it?
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Sep/0097.html

I find that to be very complex and confusing, more like a programming
language because I can not easily visualize the relationships or effect
(or maybe I am just not understanding the semantics well?).

Afaics, what I am proposing is less complex (than many special case css
terms), the relationships are one-to-one explicit, and very general:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Oct/0408.html

I suppose maybe one could even implement the multi-column specification in
my generalized model too.