Re: [css-device-adaptation] New draft

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 15:28:36 +0200, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen
<kenneth.christiansen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the most important is that you might want to import another css
> style when the device has a higher dpi, and keep zoom at 1.0.

Selecting different css based on device dpi is already supported with the
resolution media feature in Media Queries.

> It is more a legacy thing, as most mobile web app widgets are developed
> with
> the iPhone in mind, and they thus become too small on a device with a
> higher
> DPI. People have worked around with that by adjusting the zoom factor
> (multiplying with a dpi factor) and the targetDensityDpi was introduced
> so
> that sites could actually make use of the better dpi and ignore the dpi
> adjustment factor.

I don't buy the different-dpi-than-iPhone argument. Content designed for
320x480 iPhones works well on 640x960 iPhones even though the 640x960
iPhones have doubled the dpi. It should of course be noted that "luckily"
the CSS pixel is a whole number of device pixels (not 1.5) and the
width/height in CSS pixels ends up to be the same on both types of
devices, but I'd expect a different width and/or height to be more of a
problem for content designed for iPhone than different physical
resolution. Unless the CSS pixels aren't scaled to a reasonable amount of
physical pixels, which would be a UA issue.

--
Rune Lillesveen
Senior Core Developer / Architect