RE: Positioned Layout proposal

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 20:23:00 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

It is certainly interesting. Need to look closer to understand the implications...

Some questions:

1) I wonder if the most important use cases (yes, we need more use cases) can be solved by just specifying a positioning parent?

2) It appears easy when it only applies to absolute positioning (although implementation will not be that easy - it will complicate calculating visual bounds, incremental update, pagination and more...). But will it be enough? If such a major concept is added to layout model, wouldn't it be expected to extend to in-flow content (which of course would be much harder, adding circular size dependencies)?

Alex