Re: Positioned Layout proposal

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]

I've posted a much more extensive list of use-cases.  Some of them are
doable just by specifying a parent, but most are not; some require
specifying a different edge (like positioning the top edge relative to
the bottom of another element), while others require positioning
different edges relative to different elements.

> 2) It appears easy when it only applies to absolute positioning (although implementation will not be that easy - it will complicate calculating visual bounds, incremental update, pagination and more...). But will it be enough? If such a major concept is added to layout model, wouldn't it be expected to extend to in-flow content (which of course would be much harder, adding circular size dependencies)?

No, I don't think it's necessary to extend to in-flow stuff.  I'm not
even sure what it would *mean* to have this kind of control for
in-flow, static-layout stuff.  Static layout doesn't have the
analogous primitives to expose.  This is just a power-up of existing
positioned-layout concepts.