Re: practicality of user styleshseets

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:30:29 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net>, www-style@w3.org
On 10/14/10 1:51 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> It causes tools like Mozilla's Dom Inspector to show every rule on one line,
>> a major impediment for any user attempting to isolate an offending rule that
>> needs a compensating !important override. Even when viewed in an editor or
>> viewer that wraps the long line, the lack of whitespace makes navigating and
>> understanding the rulesets difficult.
>
> A tool with this behavior is broken.  File a bug against Mozilla to
> fix it.

Fix what?

For every rule, DOM Inspector reports the url of the stylesheet the rule
came from and the line number that the rule started on in that
stylesheet.  Felix seems to be complaining that if the stylesheet has no
newlines then this information is clearly insufficient to actually find
the rule in the stylesheet, which is of course true.  Then again, I'm
not sure why he needs find the rule in the stylesheet...

-Boris