Re: [CSS21] 9.5.1: placing floats above earlier blocks & line boxes

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 19:18:07 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
CC: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
On 14/10/2010 18:52, Anton Prowse wrote:
> [Note that if the top margin
> of the float were made more negative in my example above, we'd end up
> with at float whose margin area height were zero or negative, even
> though its border area height would remain positive. In my opinion, this
> should result in a float which has no effect on layout (impotence
> again!), and indeed this is what I argued for in yet another couple of
> related float issues [1,2] about zero- and negative-width/height floats,
> the 'height' version of which is Issue 185.]

Sorry, I failed to accurately represent my argument and opinion on that
matter there.  I was intending to say that, for example, non-positive
height floats don't/shouldn't cause line boxes "next to" them to shorten
or other floats to horizontally abut them (since it's not possible to be
"next to" them, a fact which is in the process of being codified in
Issue 185); and also that in the case of non-positive width floats,
other floats and line boxes do/should abut the margin area edge rather
than the border area edge - thereby "starting" further left than the
left margin edge of the float in the case of a left float with extreme
negative right margin - which is exactly the point I've been making in
this current thread).  Please ignore my overstatement in the quoted
paragraph!

> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0100.html
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0182.html
> [3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Sep/0148.html