Re: about the use of pixels as a unit for typography

From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:51:53 -0400
To: "Aryeh Gregor" <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Cc: "Peter Moulder" <peter.moulder@monash.edu>, www-style@w3.org
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
> wrote:
>> We need a unit which is proportional to the viewer's comfortable
>> psychophysic viewing size at current resolution on that device. To
>> relieve
>> us from deprecating pt, I would suggest that unit be equivalent
>> psychophysically to 1 pt on book printed pages, so we can just re-use pt
>> for this purpose.
>
> Maybe rem does what you want?
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-values/#the-rem-unit

Thanks. That seems to get closer to a reliable proxy for the psychophysic
unit. However, I suspect I could still think of scenarios where the user
may want to set a different default font size than the user wants for the
overall psychophysic unit for all other design decisions made on the page.

I defer to feedback from the list.