Re: about the use of pixels as a unit for typography

From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:45:31 -0400
To: "Felix Miata" <mrmazda@earthlink.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To make my point more clear, if I set em every where assuming it is
relative to the user's default font size (as a proxy for the psychophysic
unit), then I set a larger font for an element, then the em unit no longer
means what you want me to assume it means.

You see you are conflating semantics.  The psychophysic unit is the
psychophysic unit.  The em is something else entirely, it is a unit
relative to the font size of the container, it has nothing to do with the
user's default settings.