Re: css3-text- Indic Inputs

On 10/08/2010 08:19 AM, Somnath Chandra wrote:
> Hello Fantasai & Richards,
>
> Kindly find the draft inputs indicating the indic language styling
> requirements. Kindly visit the following link.
>
> http://w3cindia.in/cssdocument.html

Hi Somnath,

Many of these are browser bugs and not problems with the spec.
So while I would encourage you to file them against the appropriate
implementers, there isn't much we can do about e.g. underlining bugs
or certain characters not displaying correctly.

I would, however, appreciate some guidance on how justification
and letter-spacing should work (and if they should indeed interact),
as these are areas where the spec needs more detail. However, the
section on justification in your document has almost no detail
right now, and the one on letter-spacing tells me only enough to
indicate that the CSS3 draft does not handle Indic scripts--not
enough to tell me how to handle them correctly. :(

With regards to vertical layout of glyphs -- there are two different
ways to lay out horizontal scripts in vertical text. One is to keep
each character upright. The other is to rotate them. There will be
a control for this in the spec that defines vertical text, in which
case upright Indic like you have indicated there could be explicitly
chosen along with upright Latin.

The default vertical rendering for Indic scripts should be whatever
is most appropriate for inlining inside a vertical script -- e.g.
the appropriate way to render a name or quote inside a vertical
Japanese book. I haven't seen any cases of mixed Indic-CJK recently,
so I don't really have a good answer for that. But please think
about this question in that context.

A related question would be how vertically-oriented table headers
are handled, and whether they are the same or different from the
CJK case. And whether Latin or digits are handled the same way in
such headers, or differently.

~fantasai