Re: Shouldn't fonts embedded through @font-face be available in <canvas>?

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 16:18:21 +1300
To: Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, list.adam@twardoch.com, Sergey Malkin <sergeym@microsoft.com>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>wrote:

> ?I much prefer this option. Drawing a text to ask to download a font
> seems like a terrible hack. Another solution would be to add a
> property in the @font-face {} rule to force immediate download.
>
> The traditionnal "onload" event of the window object would then
> be delayed until the font (and images...) to be used in the canvas
> is ready

It's quite nice to be able to only download the font if you need characters
from that font. For example that lets you specify a downloadable font to be
used only if the system fonts don't have specific characters you need. The
proposal I made supports that case. Your suggestion (and David's suggestion)
doesn't. (But I think your suggestions would be worth having anyway.)

Rob