Re: [css3-images] Proposed Gradients changes

On 24/11/2010 7:53 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Chris Lilley<chris@w3.org>  wrote:
[snip]
>> TAJ>  (going from yellow to transparent in premultiplied colors is
>> basically TAJ>  equivalent to going from yellow;opacity:1 to
>> yellow;opacity:0 in SVG, TAJ>  modulo possibly some precision loss
>> in the CSS colors).
>>
>> Yes. The precision loss is a real concern there; at opacity 0.5
>> (1/2) you have gone from 8 bits per component to 7; at opacity
>> (1/16) you are down to 4 bits per component (only 16 distinct
>> shades of red, green and blue). This causes hue shifts due to
>> quantisation error.
>
> Right, but isn't that shift too minor to care about in basically all
> cases, since lower opacity means you're contributing less color
> information in the first place?

This may be true for current display devices that shows a sRGB gamut but
some display devices now can show scRGB. Also future displace devices
may have much better gamma correction.

I would like to ask you a simple question. At what point does the below
gradient use imaginary colors of scRGB gamut?

background: linear-gradient(left, rgba(-20, 270, 250), transparent);

Or at what point along the gradient does it become transparent?

--
Alan http://css-class.com/