Re: [css3-backgrounds] Should a non-zero border-radius create a new stacking context ?

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>wrote:

>  What complexity would have been added for authors by creating new
> stacking contexts for overflow != visible ?

The complexity of "setting this property value over here has this apparently
unrelated side effect over there".

I'd argue the latter is what is actually expected by most, especially
> so when overflow == hidden. Having outside elements layer underneath the
> children of an element with overflow:hidden - never mind clipped children -
> is neither easy to explain nor is it common practice.

I think it's easy to explain. The explanation is "'overflow' does not affect
z-order".

Now, the rest of the CSS z-ordering rules are not easy to explain, but
that's a different problem :-).

  Not sure what we mean by 'reasonable behavior'. Reasonable for authors or
> implementors ?

Both, actually.

Group opacity means "composite all the elements of the group together into a
single image, then composite that image into the destination". There's no
rational way to extend that to handle situations where the elements of the
group are interleaved in z-order with other elements that are not part of
the group.

Rob