Re: [css3-backgrounds] Should a non-zero border-radius create a new stacking context ?

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>wrote:

>  I disagree that this adds complexity for authors; we can't argue that
> creating a stacking context for overflow != visible would have simplified
> things *and* that doing so in some cases makes them unacceptably harder.
> Especially when existing, heavily-used properties already do this.

Forcing stacking contexts for overflow != visible would have simplified
things for implementors, and added complexity for authors. (Although I claim
that special-casing border-radius + overflow-not-visible is more surprising
than just special-casing overflow-not-visible.)

If the side effects of creating a new stacking context is so likely to break
> pages then opacity and transforms are equally problematic for authors. If
> so I'd like to see evidence that working around this is a common issue for
> authors; I'm not claiming such evidence does not exist btw. Pointers
> definitely welcome.

I do not claim that forcing a stacking context for border-radius +
overflow-not-visible is likely to break existing pages.

>  In the absence of said evidence, a cogent argument as to why taking this
> kind of risk is acceptable in some cases but not others - opacity is very
> heavily used, at least as much as border-radius if not more so - would be
> most helpful.

As I explained above, AFAIK the primary reason for making opacity < 1 force
a stacking context is that it's impossible to define reasonable behavior
otherwise. This is not a problem for border-radius + overflow-not-visible.

Rob