Re: [css3-backgrounds] Should a non-zero border-radius create a new stacking context ?

On Nov 19, 2010, at 6:19 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> It's more composition work.
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying though: is being consistent with inexplicability a goal ?

No, I'm saying that for it to make sense visually (which should be a goal), anything that clips to the inner edge of the border on the sides (as with overflow), should also clip to the inner edge of the border at the corners. That is more important than the fact that the definition of "padding box" did not take into account the shape of the corners, or that the size of the scrollbars might need to either change a little or overlap the border.

> Or are you saying that a new stacking context should be created even when border-radius is 0 ?

I don't think I am. I would have liked it if non-visible overflow created a stacking context (agreeing with Simon on that). But since it doesn't, then rounding the corners wouldn't change that. Unless you are saying that having a rounded corner clipping area instead of a strictly rectangular clipping area necessitates changing the stacking context—but I don't see why that would need to be true.

> The latter would be a much larger and likely breaking change for the web. One could certainly argue that it's disruptive to change z-ordering as a result of rounding a corner but we do that for opacity for reasons that are not so explicable to authors.

I don't think that is required or wanted here.