Re: a new proposal for grid layout, derived from MSFT's

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:42:14 +0100
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
CC: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Markus Mielke <mmielke@microsoft.com>
Le 17/11/10 18:29, Alex Mogilevsky a écrit :
> I love this idea. It is a very simple addition, and it makes a lot of common scenarios much more manageable.
> I think for named lines to really integrate well, line names should be interchangeable with line indices. 'grid-position' property as proposed here does that. But 'grid-column-span'/'grid-row-span' wouldn't readily take a name. It can be fixed by having separate properties for start/end grid lines (like 'grid-column-start'/'grid-column-end'... or even 'grid-x-start'/'grid-x-end' ?)

I have the feeling that indices should be dropped in
favor of named lines. I don't really like the idea
of spanning in a grid layout. A grid should define
position of blocks and spanning is really a concept
that belongs to tables and should not be there.

On another note, what about adding me as an editor of the
document? I'm willing to contribute.