Specifying partial property values (was: Re: [css3-background] New use case for background-position-x (&y!))

Hello,

On 2010-11-09, at 23:51, Lee Kowalkowski wrote:
> The main point is there are situations where an author would like to
> specify -x without -y, for whatever reason, exactly like when
> specifying margin-top without interfering with margin-left defined in
> another rule.

I wondered how I can change CSS3 text-shadow-color or text-shadow-distance-top or text-shadow-distance-left or text-shadow-blur-radius

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#text-shadow
http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-css3-background-20100612/#box-shadow

Did I miss something or is that not possible? On the argument that you can specify multiple light directions => shadows you could still offer

text-shadow: 3px 2px 1px red, 1px 2px 3px blue;
text-shadow-color: yellow, rgba(0,0,0,0.4);

(awesome would even be text-shadow-color: yellow, rgba(cascade, cascade, cascade, 0.4);)

CSS always had very good shorthands as well as full properties like padding and margin for instance.

With the browser vendors pre-standard implementations of background gradients I had the issue described above as well, I could not simply change parts of the gradient or add a background-color ex-post (for graceful degration, e.g. older browsers, lets say in my ie.css). Always having to specify a full property where a partial (with magic standard values) would be sufficient is bad.

text-shadow: red; should work as should text-shadow: 1px - or text-shadow: 1px 1px, or text-shadow: 1px 1px red - you get the idea and can probably imagine what a good default would be.

King regards
 Jonas

p.s.: I took a look at the spec, sorry if I did not get it right and its all in.