Re: [css3-writing-modes] recent edits

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:04:41 -0600
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
On Nov 10, 2010, at 1:34 PM, John Daggett wrote:

> So 'left' and 'right' for
> text-align will effectively map to start and end?

start and end would respect LTR/RTL directionality I assume, whereas left/right do not.  left/right mean "line-left" and "line-right" and I think it's useful to allow them to map that way in vertical layout.

> Would it be better
> to add explicit 'start' and 'end' values?  Ditto for float/clear.  I
> also think vertical-align needs to be flushed out more explicitly.

I do think we should add explicit values, but I think there is value in supporting left/right for vertical layout, since sometimes thinking in terms of line left and line right is useful.

dave