Re: UI for CSS Media Queries and value-less features

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 14:19:36 +0100, Daniel Glazman
> Le 09/11/10 14:15, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
>> As you say the equivalent feature is min-color:1. Why do you need to be
>> able to represent both in your editor? Some start tags can be written as
>
> Because if the web author writes by hand (color), he/she does NOT
> want to get a (min-color:1) back. Rule number 1 of wysiwyg editors
> is "try to avoid messing with author's decisions and code".

So you mean the code was authored in vim or emacs and then read using a
WYSIWYG editor? It seems the issue I mentioned with start tags would
certainly apply here. Other things that are completely equivalent from a
processing point of view might give trouble too:

   @media only all and (color)
   @media all and (color)
   @media (color)

>> We decided not to go back to drop color-index, which is clearly a
>> useless feature. This seems much less important.
>
> From your browser POV, certainly. From my editor's one, not at all.
> But of course, implementability in an editor is still the poor parent
> when we speak of Web Standards.

It is a trade-off. We can limit the amount of valid serializations, but
that will make hand authoring harder.

I think it is somewhat inevitable that when you use WYSIWYG-mode the
editor will modify your source code and the way you indent or minimize
your syntax might get lost. To counter that you could provide syntax
preferences maybe. So that instead of writing out min-color:1 you would
write out color. This would have the advantage that existing code would be
cleaned up using those rules too. This is a general problem however and
not at all a specific problem with Media Queries.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/