Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) wrote:
>>> Isn't it pretty critical to know how the writing direction is being changed? If I were writing an e-book reader
>> that allowed Japanese readers to switch text directions, I think I would
>> do it by modifying the DOM, specifically by changing the value of the
>> "dir" attribute, so Andew's solution seems workable for that.
>
> Do you that the dir attribute of HTML5 merely has wo values: "ltr" and
> "rtl"??  It does not have "ttb".  We think that this design choice is
> sensible: BIDI is a critical part of the content, while vertical writing is just
> a style issue.
>
> I believe that reading sytems will provide their own stylesheets for
> selecting the princial writing direction.  The rest is cascading.
>
> Cheers,
> Makoto

Hello Makato,

Please compare this test,

<http://css-class.com/test/css/bidi/tategaki-test-bfc.html>

with this test in IE8.

<http://css-class.com/test/css/bidi/tategaki-test-no-bfc.html>

It seems that with IE8, both of these,

writing-mode: tb-rl;
writing-mode: lr-tb;

causes a _block formating context_ like both of these do.

direction: ltr;
direction: ltr;

<http://www.brunildo.org/test/IE8-direction-bfc.html>

<http://css-class.com/test/bugs/ie/ie8-haslayout-bidi.htm>

The origins of this is with IE7 shocking support of rtl writing mode
causing a lot of developers (who use rtl) to use text-align properties
and IE8 beta improper handling of rtl writing mode.

<http://css-class.com/test/bugs/ie/8-beta/ie8-bidirectional-bug.htm>

In IE8 beta, the above test case shows the pee-ka-boo bug and
selecting text nodes causes them to jump around.

I presume the IE development team got around this by making
writing-mode and direction, either in the HTML (or other document
formats) and CSS create a _block formating context_ or if other words
hasLayout = true.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/