Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 10:52:22 +0200
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Andrew Fedoniouk:

 > I've proposed on the list once to introduce :ltr and :rtl pseudo-classes.

Yes, this makes sense.

 > :rtl is true if element itself or its nearest parent have @dir defined
 > and value of that @dir is exactly "rtl"

And, just to be clear, by @dir you mean HTML's 'dir' attribute. E.g.,
as defined here:

  http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/elements.html#the-dir-attribute

 > In the same way :ltr is defined. And :ttb.

'ttb' isn't a value on the 'dir' attribute. I would make sense to add it
there, though. HTML5 states:

  Note: Authors are strongly encouraged to use the dir attribute to
  indicate text direction rather than using CSS, since that way their
  documents will continue to render correctly even in the absence of
  CSS (e.g. as interpreted by search engines).

which makes sense.

 > So the @dir is a sole source that defines all aspects
 > of directionality. Having one CSS property to be dependable
 > on another is IMO path nowhere.

I agree.

I support your proposal.

-h&kon