RE: [css3-lists] Allow alphabetic numbering to be treated as symbolic

From: Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 10:40:34 -0700
To: "www-style" <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
-----Original Message-----
On Saturday, January 02, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com] wrote:

>On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com> wrote:
>> I note that choosing number style
>> A, B, C... in Microsoft Word produces AA, BB, CC for the 27th through
>> 29th items, so this would be a potential issue for any document
>> converted to HTML from Word. While I am not suggesting CSS should
>> conform to Word, neither should CSS be hostile to its conventions.

> Since Word is indeed using the Z,AA,BB... series, I think it's important to support that
> in CSS.  There's not really a good reason to limit it to just the capital English
> letters, of course, as long as there's a good way to extend this to everything (at the
> very least, extending it to the lowercase english alphabet should be possible).  Your
> suggested *-symbolic naming scheme seems like a reasonable way to handle this.

Apologies in advance if this is out of line. I just noticed that the 3.0 list specification document http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-lists-20021107/ now has issues embedded.  I am requesting that this issue be added to http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-lists-20021107/#list-content as an issue while the document awaits an editor.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster
www.sfmta.com/webmaster