From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 13:42:26 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On 5/17/10 1:25 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> An asbpos table-cell's auto position is defined as the first of the
> following that exists:

I assume you mean the auto position of an abspos element whose parent is
a table, table-row-group, table-header-group, table-footer-group, or
table-row?  Or do you really mean something with "display: table-cell;
position: absolute"?  If so, what about the other cases?

By the way, this brings to mind another obvious case where abspos
elements don't act like "display: none" in current UAs:

   <!DOCTYPE html>

Every single browser I have here (IE8, recent Webkit, recent Gecko,
Opera 10.5) creates two rows (and in fact two tables, as a slightly more
careful testcase shows) in this case, not one table with one row.

> Its vertical position is:
> * the top inner edge of the padding box of the table-row it would be
> placed in if it weren't absposed
> * the top inner edge of the padding box of the following table-row
> * the bottom outer edge of the border box of the preceding table-row
> * the top inner edge of the padding box of the table

I think making sense of this list depends on the answer to the cases
we're considering above... at least for me.  For one thing, the
definition of "the table-row it would be placed in" might depend on the
answer to that question.

-Boris