Re: [css3-fonts] font-variant-numeric

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:44:51 -0700
To: "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
CC: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-style@w3.org
Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:

> Would the generic term "glyph substitution" work (instead of font rendering) to describe the effect of font features and the font-variant properties?

Not when glyph positioning is what is being described.

I suggest something along these lines, with higher level general terms
and lower level specific terms:

Glyph processing:
incpororating glyph substitution and glyph positioning

Text shaping:
incorporating script shaping, language shaping and typographic* shaping

* A loose definition of typography would consider all this stuff
'typographic' by virtue of using fonts, but I prefer an intentional and
functional definition such as that provided by the type historian
Margaret M. Smith: typography is the articulation of texts, and hence
follows after the normative shaping of a writing system.

JH