Re: CSS3: Suggestion for another list-style-type

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:31:34 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Axel Dahmen <brille1@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Once everyone properly supports the existing ::marker pseudoelement
>>> and content properties, you can do this without any special
>>> intervention:
>>>
>>> li::marker {
>>>  content: "»";
>>> }
>>

>> I see... From new discussion in the newsgroup I read that the above rule
>> would be insufficient. It was said to be:
>>
>> ul
>>  {list-style-type: none;
>>  }
>>
>> li::marker
>>  {content: "»";
>>  }

I don't see where this is said. That rule is only necessary when using the
alternate suggestion with li:before from CSS 2.1.

>> What is correct then?
>
> It doesn't look like that *should* be necessary.  If it is, I'd chalk
> it up to a buggy implementation.  (In fact, I suspect that in a
> non-buggy implementation that would simply hide the marker entirely.)

I interpret section 6 to mean that the list-style-type is only relevant if
the marker pseudo has content:normal, though it's not completely clear.

In any case, list-style-type:none would just give worse fallback for user
agents without ::marker support.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA