W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > March 2010

Fw: [css3-background] border-radius color transitions using gradients (recommended but undefined)

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:24:50 +0100
Message-ID: <F41562B1B6B44C30BDB538E2E4908049@Fremy1>
To: "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "CSS 3 W3C Group" <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Daniel Glazman" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Sorry for reopeing this old thread, but the IE Team
(and particulary Sylvain Galineau) seems to indicate
web author feedback is still needed about this
specific problem.

(Ref: 
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2010/03/19/the-css-corner-about-css-corners.aspx#comments)

I already did send this mail in the past, but it seems
it was rejected because of it's size (image were pasted
from an image editor and were send as raw BMP).

My proposal is to use a linear gradient instead of a
complex gradient because generating a linear gradient
is a task that can be accelerated by hardware and that's
pretty simple, while other proposals like conic gradient
are much complex and would need bitmap generation
that would not be hardware-boostable.

The fact is that a linear gradient can lead to very good
results, so there's no need to use more complex solutions.

The full mail and technical explainations are available here :
http://cid-201f3835d49587fe.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Temp%202/CSS%20WG/2010-03-10%20-%20Border-Radius%20Gradient.pdf

Regards,
François

--------------------------------------------------
From: "François REMY" <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 7:27 PM
To: "Bert Bos" <bert@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [css3-background] border-radius color transitions using 
gradients  recommended but undefined

> Hum, right, now you say it I didn't see the mail
> in the mailing list, but I thought it was a feature
> of the mailing list to not resend you a mail you
> had sent.
>
> I'll use my webserver to host the images and then
> resent the mail. Thanks for the hint.
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> From: "Bert Bos" <bert@w3.org>
> Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 6:11 PM
> To: "François REMY" <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
> Subject: Re: [css3-background] border-radius color transitions using 
> gradients  recommended but undefined
>
>> Hello François,
>>
>> Your message was rejected by the www-style@w3.org mailing list because
>> of its size. Can you find a different way to show the images? Maybe put
>> them on a Web server somewhere and just send the URLs?
>>
>> On Wednesday 27 January 2010 10:30:23 you wrote:
>>> One of the main concern about using a gradient for
>>> the corner was it would require a non-HW proccess,
>>> if we opt in for a "conic" gradient.
>> [...]
>>
>>
>>
>> Bert
>> -- 
>>  Bert Bos                                ( W 3 C ) http://www.w3.org/
>>  http://www.w3.org/people/bos                               W3C/ERCIM
>>  bert@w3.org                             2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93
>>  +33 (0)4 92 38 76 92            06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France
> 
Received on Saturday, 20 March 2010 09:25:25 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 17:20:25 GMT