Re: positioning and sizing an element relatively to any other element

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:21:40 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) Since we're talking about height, it would also be awesome to have
> a way to say "this should be the height of its container but no
> larger". You'd think height: 100% would do that, but no, that seems to
> make the box the height of its content, at least the last time I tried
> it (yesterday). That's OK, though, we love you even though you're
> eccentric, CSS. I think we just need a little something different,
> here.

Usually, the container's height is determined by its contents' height.
 If the container has a fixed height, then its contents will always be
fit into that height, as controlled by the overflow property.  What
exactly would this change add?  What's an example syntax and an
example of a case where it would do something that's not already
pretty simple?