Re: Customize HTML5 forms placeholder style

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:59:49 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Mounir Lamouri <mounir.lamouri@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) A ::placeholder pseudoelement, which represents the placeholder
> text itself.  This pseudoelement only exists when the input is in the
> placeholder state.
>
> . . .
>
> #2 only addresses the first requirement, but it does not have the
> cascading issue that #1 does.  However, it requires us to define what
> properties can be applied to ::placeholder.  These would be equivalent
> to the properties that can be applied to ::value (defined in CSS3 UI),
> but these are not defined yet either.

Then if UAs did something like ::placeholder { opacity: 0.6 } in the
default stylesheet, rather than ::placeholder { color: darkgray } or
such, it would continue to work reasonably even if the author restyled
the input without restyling ::placeholder -- right?  Or would an
opacity rule not work here for some reason?  (At first I thought yes,
then no, now yes again.)

#2 seems like the better option overall.