Re: percentage heights in tables (section 17.5.3 of the CSS2.1 spec on "table height algorithms")

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 08:34:27PM -0500, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Peter Moulder
> <Peter.Moulder@infotech.monash.edu.au> wrote:

> > [It's harder than you'd expect, etc.]
> > so I would expect percentage row heights to be widely implemented soon.

(Heh, oops, I of course meant "wouldn't".)

> I assumed that it would follow the standard rules for percentage
> heights, in that, say, percentage row heights would only 'work'
> if the table had a *definite* height [much like in §10.5 of CSS21].

OK, I'd forgotten that "precedent", so was aiming for consistency with
§17.5.2 instead.

Yes, that does indeed sound reasonable (and more typical of CSS21).

(Percentages under this model add little to no "power" in terms of
what layouts as function of rendering environment can be specified,
but do have some readability value.)

pjrm.