Re: percentage heights in tables (section 17.5.3 of the CSS2.1 spec on "table height algorithms")

From: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:34 PM
To: "Peter Moulder" <Peter.Moulder@infotech.monash.edu.au>
Cc: "sam" <samuelp@iinet.net.au>; <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Re: percentage heights in tables (section 17.5.3 of the CSS2.1 spec
on "table height algorithms")

>> The main point is that it does add more implementation effort than you'd
>> expect, and at the moment I believe there are still more significant
>> issues
>> with tables both in the spec and in the extent to which the table spec is
>> implemented in common CSS user agents, so I would expect percentage row
>> heights
>> to be widely implemented soon.
>
> I assumed that it would follow the standard rules for percentage
> heights, in that, say, percentage row heights would only 'work' if the
> table had a *definite* height.  It wouldn't try to infer what the
> percentage would have to mean based on other row heights.  Essentially
> it would work exactly as if the table elements had normal, non-table-*
> display types.  Then the value obtained from that calculation would be
> fed into the standard table row/cell height calculations.

That’s me and flex units [1] again.  In some conditions in tables "HTML
percents" behave
differently than "CSS percents".

Consider this sample:

height="100%">

The only way to translate such percents to CSS is to introduce flex units in
CSS.  No other way so far.
All 100% here are precisely 1*;

As I said many times already that in 99% of cases when people are asking for
better percents in CSS
they are asking for flexes.

Sorry for boring persistence.

[1] http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/flex-layout/flex-layout.htm