RE: [CSS21] Issue 149 - px vs. pt

-----Original Message-----
From: fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net]

> That's a horrible way to treat web apps that aren't yet important enough to you to run offline.
> How can you possibly provide the user with a reasonable experience if a 2in screen tells you that
> it's 22in wide?

Not sure you're reading me  correctly here. I am only describing what the world is like today. When I
Load a web page that runs MQ on my iPhone, the device resolution the page thinks it renders on is
not what it actually is.  But that's by design; this model is popular because it supports broader reach: the user
can use pages as they were designed and the same web page works in more places. That experience
is reasonable as long as people want a phone browser that's like using a desktop one viewed through a
small window.

On the other hand, if I was writing a canvas-based game launched from an icon that runs offline on top of
WebKit  or Gecko, I would most definitely want the MQ to give me the 'real' answer. Being told the screen
is 22in wide would not be reasonable in such a case as it would completely screw up the user experience and
break my software.

So which is best is contextual and I'm not sure it can be checked using a media query. I'm also not sure we
can make the underlying system always tell the truth by defining units this way or that, or that we should
attempt to do so.

But we still should define how the units map to each other; whether your platform lies or not, I think you want
these relationships to be clear.