Re: [css3-background] Negative box-shadow blur: equivalent to 0px or invalid ?

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:55:18 -0700
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>

On Jun 30, 2010, at 7:28 AM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> The latest draft [1] states :
>
> "The third length is a blur distance. Negative values are not allowed."
>
> I assume "not allowed" here means invalid i.e. such a declaration is an error.
> Opera, Firefox and IE9 PP3 currently treat negative blurs as 0px.

Interesting. I wonder if that is related to the pixel rounding thing, where anything other than an integer number of pixels (or perhaps device pixels?) are rounded down. I think some clarification in the spec is needed about what happens with half pixels or other non-integer blurs, whether or not an odd number width for the total blur is allowed, and this new issue of what should happen to negative blurs. It seems to me like there is some normalization happening.