From: Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:07:55 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>    <plinss> http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-167
>    * fantasai is happy with any proposal to 167 that satisfies both
>      Bert and dbaron
>    dbaron: I don't think I have time to understand the proposal in
>            the remaining time in the telecon
>    Peter: Let's defer this til next week
>    Chrisl: Overall it looks good, but I agree it is a fairly
>            complicated proposal
>    Sylvain: Seems to be about two issues
>    Sylvain: Are they really both the same issue
>    dbaron: I think it's two issues with one proposal to address both

It is indeed two issues with a proposal meant to address both.  (The
text of the proposed change is at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Feb/0221.html .)

>    Peter: One's about backslashes outside a string, another about
>           backslashes inside a string. Don't see the first one being
>           addressed

Most of the rewrite is motivated by the string issues.  These are the
sentences that address the outside-string issues:

	If a backslash is immediately followed by the end of the
	style sheet, it is a normal character, not an escape.

        Outside strings, a backslash followed by a newline is a normal
        punctuation character.

zw