Re: [css3-background] vastly different takes on "blur"

On Jun 21, 2010, at 3:48 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> FWIW, I agree with Tab and Simon; it makes more sense to me for the
> blur value to define the increase in the shadow's size, just like
> spread.

I'm just blown away. Absolutely blown away. I can't believe it is even
controversial. That we should have a distance measurement for setting
an amount of blur, and then we end up with an overall blur width that
is twice that distance instead of the distance typed... Words fail me
for politely describing how screwed up that is.

I liken it to PostScript, where a border is drawn down the center of a
path: half inside, and half outside. Sure, you may be interested in
knowing how much wider that border is going to make your box, but at
the end of the day, if you ask for a 19 point border, you get get a 19
point border, not a 38 point border. You don't have to specify 8.5
points to get a 19 point border. Because it is a border you are
setting in PostScript, not a distance that the border extends the box
width on one side.

Spread is different. The only noticeable result of spread is the
growth of the shadow. The most noticeable result of blur is how much
blurrier it became.

Unbelievable.