Re: CSS 2.1 text-align:justify issue [CSS2.1] [css3-text]

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:38:39 -0700
To: robert@ocallahan.org
CC: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 03/31/2010 11:42 AM, fantasai wrote:
> Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>   >>  Sounds good, but why include 'pre-line' there? IMHO spaces in pre-line
>   >>  text should be able to stretch for justification.
>   >
>   >  Good point. That should not be there!
>
> Here's an updated proposal based on Arron's tests...

Reposting the proposal with some minor errors fixed:

Here's an updated proposal based on Arron's tests that show that pre-wrap
disables justification but pre-line doesn't (which makes sense):
    http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-53

In 16.2, replace

    #  If the computed value of text-align is 'justify' while the computed
    #  value of white-space is 'pre' or 'pre-line', the actual value of
    #  text-align is set to the initial value.

with

    |  If an element has a computed value for 'white-space' of 'pre' or
    |  'pre-wrap', then neither the glyphs of that element's text content
    |  nor its white space may be altered for the purpose of justification.

The other paragraph that we may need is this:

    |  If the computed value of 'text-align' is 'justify' and the computed
    |  value of white-space is 'pre' or 'pre-wrap', then the used value
    |  of 'text-align' is set to the initial value.

Whether we add it or not depends on whether the following should be
allowed to justify:

normal">Some text here</span></p>

(We have split results for implementations.)

~fantasai