RE: [css3-multicol] column balancing and fixed height (RE: Question on Flexbox balance implementation)

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 01:55:59 +0000
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "howcome@opera.com" <howcome@opera.com>
CC: Chris Jones <cjon@microsoft.com>
Test case is attached

From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Alex Mogilevsky
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 6:38 PM
To: www-style@w3.org; howcome@opera.com
Cc: Chris Jones
Subject: [css3-multicol] column balancing and fixed height (RE: Question on Flexbox balance implementation)

(Oops, I did send it to the list already. I will get a test case and attach.)

To restate the question:

If the height of a multi-column container is explicitly specified, then the column-fill: balance property is ignored in current implementations. The current spec doesn't seem to say anything on this. Can we get it specified?

In my opinion, disabling balancing with fixed columns is somewhat easier to implement, but it is a case of property side effect that we generally tend to avoid.

Thanks
Alex