Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote on 2010/06/09 9:36:19

> On Jun 8, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com
>  > wrote:
>
> > Le 04/06/10 08:30, John Daggett a écrit :
> >
> >> Examples of Korean vertical text layout would be interesting.
> >
> > Ask it, get it:
> >
> >  http://glazman.org/forCSSWG/SoulShinmun-1975.png
> >
> > </Daniel>
>
> Interesting that even in predominantly vertical writing, there are
> still some horizontal parts, such as the picture caption. I wonder if
> the epub mechanism for switching everything to ttb would also affect
> such explicitly declared rtl descendants.

It is same as Japanese and Chinese vertical writing,
horizontal (ltr) parts exist even in predominantly
vertical writing.

Example:

table, figure {
  writing-mode: lr-tb;
}

<!DOCTYPE html>
    vertical writing....
        horizontal writing....
    vertical writing....
    <figure>
      <figcaption>
        horizontal writing....
      </figcaption>
    </figure>

In this example, if the root writing-mode is tb-rl
then the "vertical writing...." is vertical writing
and the "horizontal writing...." is horizontal writing.
When the root writing-mode is switched to lr-tb,
both parts become horizontal writing.

--
村上 真雄 (MURAKAMI Shinyu)
http://twitter.com/MurakamiShinyu