Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 10:46:40 -0700
Cc: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "John Daggett" <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, "MURAKAMI Shinyu" <murakami@antenna.co.jp>, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>

On Jun 8, 2010, at 12:31 AM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

>> Beg my pardon but can we just leave @media for media?
>
> I'm fine with using pseudo-classes instead. But the two can express
> exactly the same, it's only a syntactical difference.

It is a difference of having writing pseudo-class selectors over and over again for each affected rule, or just once or twice for a big block of rules.

Personally, I don't think "does this person have the device set for vertical text" is any less of a media question than "does this person have the device set for at least 800px in width", or "does this person currently have the device in a vertical orientation" .  That aside, if we had '@writing-mode(ttb)' instead of '@media (writing-mode: ttb)', the effect is the same.