Re: example of vertical and horizontal layout of Japanese

From: MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 21:05:44 +0900
To: www-style@w3.org
> Note how the underline on the URL displays, it's rendered to the left
> in the vertical layout.  In Japanese text layout this is incorrect, an
> emphasis line like this should appear on the right.  For Chinese, from
> what I understand, this is correct however, an emphasis line is drawn
> on the left.

Yes, bousen ("underline" for vertical text) should be to the right in
the present style.  Historically, people used both left and right
bousen within a single document for representing different types of emphasis.

http://dosei3.no-ip.org/~uakira/n/images/200401/yome42.png
http://dosei3.no-ip.org/~uakira/n/images/200401/yome24.png

Now, we can probably say that bousen is not so important and
it might disappear.  Bouten (dot or other mark for each
character) is much more important.  Again, Japan
and China differin positioning of such bouten.  Japan puts bouten
to the right and China puts it to the left.

Cheers,
Makoto