Re: [css3-lists] Proposal: list-style-position inside-hanging

From: Markus Ernst <derernst@gmx.ch>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 22:12:34 +0200
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:10:11 -0700
> Von: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>

> So my preferred solution is to modify the draft so that both 'inside'
> and 'outside' marker boxes are drawn as independent boxes that can push
> against the text of the primary box (similar to how floats push against
> line boxes).

That looks good. Of course marker boxes must have an identical width throughout a list.

> ....and another thing.....
>
> I would also, as a shorthand sort of thing for the above, propose to let
> "list-style-position" accept lengths. So, for instance,  both of the
> following would produce similar results:
>
> (#1:)
> LI { list-style-position: 40px; }
>
> (#2:)
> LI { list-style-position: inside; }
> LI::marker {
>     margin-left: -40px;
> }
>
> Thus, the distance measurement determines how far the left edge of the
> marker is from the left edge of the first character or node of the list
> item. If this distance is less than the width of the marker and the
> marker's margin-right, then the marker pushes in on the first character
> or node of the list item by the difference, so that the following two
> line are also equivalent:
>
> LI { list-style-position: inside; }
> LI { list-style-position: 0px; }

That also looks good. It does not provide exactly the same possibilities that I was aiming to, but it would make list styling quite intuitive, as applying lengths works the same way as hanging indents do in word processors or layout softwares.