Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 10:35:52 +0200
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Also sprach John Daggett:

 > Are the results different for the two rules below if no other style
 > rules are defined?
 >
 >   p {
 >     writing-mode: lr-tb;
 >     margin-top: 2em;
 >   }
 >
 >   p {
 >     writing-mode: lr-tb;
 >     margin-before: initial;
 >     margin-top: 2em;
 >   }
 >
 > If the results are different, this seems very un-CSS-like to me.

The way I understand the proposal, the results would be the same. That
is, the last declaration (margin-top: 2em) would win (over
"margin-before: initial") by being last.

There is still a problem, though; an implementation cannot determine
what the cascade will be like until the computed value of
'writing-mode' is known. So, implementations must find the computed
value of 'writing-mode' before cascading can be completed for other
properties.

-h&kon