Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

On 6/1/10 3:59 AM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>    - DDAs are mapped to their respective properties as soon as the
>      computed value of 'writing-mode' is known; thereafter DDAs --
>      their values and existence -- can be forgotton

Which just means that you have to keep track of _specified_ values for
DDAs but not computed values.  Which is what Gecko and Webkit seem to do.

>    - there is no DOM access to DDAs (I hope, the draft doesn't say)

Why not, if they have specified values?

> This undertanding is supported by [2]:
>
>   >  For UAs supporting only horizontal writing, *-before, *-after,
>   >  logical-width and logical-height are simply aliases of *-top, *-bottom,
>   >  width and height respectively. No costs needed.

That seems like an optimization based on pre-converting on the specified
value level due to knowing what computed writing directon will be.  That
optimization is, of course, not compatible with DOM access to the
specified values, so I'm not sure it's a valid optimization.  Unless the
specified-value behavior of these properties is _very_ weird.

-Boris