Re: Issue 158 proposed text

On Friday 2010-07-30 15:38 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 6:31 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> > The current spec says that the collapsing should be done as though
> > the element has a nonzero top border width, and I think (based on
> > the rationale you gave, not on the proposed spec text) you're
> > proposing to change it to say that the collapsing should be done as
> > though the element had a nonzero bottom border width.
> >
> > However, it's also not clear to me why you're proposing this change.
> > I'm actually not even sure that you intended it.
>
> I didn't intend such a change.  I can't find where that is specified,
> though, in either 9.5.2 or 8.3.1.  Is it somewhere else in the spec?
> If so, I think it should be moved to be in one of these sections.

It's specified in the text that you're replacing, in particular, in
the third and fourth bullets in the nested list under item 2:

  # If this hypothetical position of the element's top border edge
  # is not past the relevant floats, then its clearance must be set
  # to the greater of:
  #
  #  1. The amount necessary to place the border edge of the block
  #     even with the bottom outer edge of the lowest float that is
  #     to be cleared.
  #  2. The amount necessary to make the sum of the following equal
  #     to the distance to which these margins collapsed when the
  #     hypothetical position was calculated:
  #      o the margins collapsing above the clearance
  #      o the clearance itself
  #      o if the block's own margins collapse together: the block's
  #        top margin
  #      o if the block's own margins do not collapse together: the
  #        margins collapsing below the clearance

Though, really, I should clarify:  the current spec says the
collapsing should be done as though the element has a nonzero top
border width only when the element's own margins collapse together,
but NOT in other cases.  (That seems like a pretty odd requirement;
I suspect it results in strange incremental layout in some cases.)

-David