Re: [CSS 2.1] [section 9.5 Floats] Empty floated element with a set width but height:0

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:35:35 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
CC: www-style@gtalbot.org
Gérard Talbot wrote:
> Le Ven 30 juillet 2010 14:14, Anton Prowse a écrit :
>> Gérard Talbot wrote:
>>> Does an empty floated element with a set width occupy an horizontal
>>> space
>>> on a line?

>> (We're talking about zero-height floats, rather than empty floats.)
>
> Anton, as you say, zero-height float is more on target of the matter.

To be even more precise, I should have said zero-height margin area,
(since "height of a block box" is currently an undefined term in CSS21;
see my forthcoming post).

But we agree that the issue in question is actually the behaviour when
the bottom margin edge of a float is incident with the top edge of a
line box (or incident with where that top edge would be if the line box
contained some but sufficiently little non-trivial content and hence
"fits").

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net