Re: Taking a look at overflow: pan

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:58:26 -0700
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 7/29/2010 1:54 PM, Simon Fraser wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Charles Pritchard wrote:
>> My thinking is that, re-using overflow, while still specifying "scroll" would allow
>> backward compatibility while still suggesting to the UA, that scroll bars be 'hidden';
> What would the expected mode of user interaction be to scroll such areas, or is this entirely up to the UA?
> For example on Mac, I can see that the mousewheel could be used, or possible click-dragging, or
> click-dragging with the spacebar held down (like image editors), but those are very undiscoverable.
I'd leave it up to the UA.

The user should know that the element can be manipulated, because
they've been prompted by
the author/style of the page, or are otherwise aware of their browser
environment. click+drag, touch,
pen flicks, and all other modalities are at least, familiar to users, if
not immediately apparent.

The goal here is to inform the UA that screen width/height is privileged,
and if possible, scroll indicators should be hidden when the element is
not actively being