Re: Taking a look at overflow: pan

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:54:48 -0700
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
On Jul 29, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Charles Pritchard wrote:

> My thinking is that, re-using overflow, while still specifying "scroll" would allow
> backward compatibility while still suggesting to the UA, that scroll bars be 'hidden';

What would the expected mode of user interaction be to scroll such areas, or is this entirely up to the UA?

For example on Mac, I can see that the mousewheel could be used, or possible click-dragging, or
click-dragging with the spacebar held down (like image editors), but those are very undiscoverable.

> I'm certainly open for other ideas -- authors will be implementing the function regardless,
> using overflow: hidden, and scrollTo techniques.

Yeah, I was surprised that scrollTo still works with overflow:hidden areas!

Simon