Re: Taking a look at overflow: pan

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:31:53 -0700
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
On Jul 29, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Charles Pritchard wrote:

> I've been working on a project which implements tiled scrolling...
> Today from Ajaxian I saw the YUI 3 update, included in it is an implementation
> of ScrollView.
>
> ScrollView is in some sense: overflow: pan;
>
> It's similar to overflow: scroll, but instead of showing scroll bars, it allows
> the user to pan across the element, showing scroll indicators.
>
> This causes some implementation difficulties when it comes to text selection.
>
> Android, iOS (Apple) and YUI are supporting this style of overflow/scrolling.

iOS does not support panning inside of overflow regions inside the page, only at the page level.
This is therefore a detail of the UA's scrolling implementation.

It's not clear to me that this is anything other than a UA design decision, based on the
characteristics of the user-interaction of the device the page is being presented on.

Simon