Re: [css3-background] Where we are with Blur value discussion

On Tuesday 2010-07-13 07:15 -0700, Brad Kemper wrote:
> Arguments in favor of the distance measuring the Entire blur region width (current spec language):
>
> 1) The entire perimeter is blurred, outer and inner, not just
> outer, so it is logical that the width of the entire blur effect
> width should match the authored value.

However, for 'text-shadow' the value is called the "blur radius",
not the "blur diameter" (and has been called "blur radius" since
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/text.html#text-shadow-props ).

(I'm not sure when the definition of 'box-shadow' changed from using
the commonly-used term "blur radius" to using the new term "blur
distance".)

I'd also note that blurring is implemented as a generic
transformation of images; it's not just something applied to edges.
In that form, I think measuring in terms of the radius
(approximating the concept of how far away from its original
location can the color of a point can get) makes more sense than
using the diameter (approximating the distance between the two
farthest points in opposite directions that the color of a pixel can
reach).

So I also favor switching the definition of box-shadow to match
text-shadow and to describe a blur radius rather than a diameter.

-David