Re: [CSS21] 9.5.2 Effect of adjacent top margin of first in-flow child on clearance

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:28:05 +0100
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Bruno Fassino wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net> wrote:
>
>> (although I think the phrase "these
>> margins" could more explicitly refer back to the margins discussed two
>> paragraphs earlier, as I now interpret it to).
>
> I too think that part of the difficulties in interpreting 9.5.2 point
> 2 arise from that phrase "these margins", and from the fact that it is
> followed by a bulleted list of margins not exactly matching the more
> generic "previous adjacent margins" mentioned earlier in the
> hypothetical position determination.

Indeed, and even if it were clear what "these margins" referred to,
there is no indication in the spec of if/when the first in-flow child's
top margin should eventually be collapsed with its parent's (the
clear's) top margin (neither in 9.5.2 nor in 8.3.1).

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net