RE: Text selector [was Re: breaking overflow]

From: Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 11:17:03 -0800
To: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "Aryeh Gregor" <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, "James Hopkins" <james@idreamincode.co.uk>
-----Original Message-----
From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Aryeh
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM, James Hopkins <james@idreamincode.co.uk>
wrote:
>If a text node is split across two packets, apparently browsers will
split it into two >text nodes, at least sometimes.  Obviously, having
behavior change noticeably because
>of that would be a really bad idea, since it's not feasible to control
where packet
>boundaries are.

Then one of the user agent requirements for supporting the ::text
pseudoselector would be that if a style sheet in the cascade used such a
selector the browser would have to first patch together any text node
that it had previously arbitrarily split.

That would be a programming issue rather than a CSS issue, but it is
good to know that user-agent programmers would have to look for it.
There would need to be a way for programmers to intentionally construct
such packets for testing purposes, but I would imagine that is doable.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster