Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:17:12 -0800
Cc: Giuseppe Bilotta <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
To: robert@ocallahan.org

On Jan 7, 2010, at 2:37 AM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> The truth is that if you use "pt" at all, your content is very unlikely to work well on both a desktop and a handheld device, if "pt" is rendered faithfully as 1/72 of an inch.

At some point [no pun intended], we authors need to take responsibility for what we do, and take notice of the fact that points and pixels are not the same thing, and that 12 points on a small high-rez phone is much bigger than 12 pixels. If we care about what our pages look like, we'll design accordingly. If not, we'll suffer the consequences.

I know, I know, so will implementors. But we'll suffer more, and people will ask why our content looks so much worse than our competitors.